'Exercise Right Week' Higher Degree by Research Student Spotlight: Natalie Vear

28 May 2020

Each month we shine the spotlight on a HDR (Higher Degree by Research) student within the School of Human Movement and Nutrition Sciences.

This month we are celebrating 'Exercise Right Week', so we caught up with PhD Candidate, Natalie Vear, who is conducting research in the area of exercise and cancer. 

What inspired you to undertake a PhD?

In the last few years of my undergraduate studies I was exposed to a variety of different research studies and I found the whole process of research to be fascinating. With a strong history of cancer in my family, I wanted to see how I could research methods to improve quality of life and health-related outcomes in cancer patients and survivors through exercise.

What are you key research interests?

My key research interests are the effects of exercise in preventing and reducing both the short- and long-term negative cardiovascular effects of cancer treatments.

What is your PhD research project about?

My PhD research is investigating the effects of exercise training on cardiovascular health in cancer patients and survivors.

What do you enjoy most about being a PhD student?

The sense of community which comes from being in the research world. I also adore the amazing research participants which I have met during my studies.

What is one piece of advice you would give to someone thinking about studying a PhD?

Definitely do it if you have the interest and personal drive. Pick a topic which you are passionate about because you will be investigating it for quite a few years!

What three words would you use to describe the life of a PhD student?

Busy, Fascinating, Rewarding

What do you like to do in your spare time when you are not working on your PhD?

I love to horse ride (when time and finances allow), cook for my partner and family, and I also love to read fiction novels.

What are three words your fellow PhD students would use to describe you?

Chocoholic, Organised, Workaholic

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I am hoping I will still be involved in clinical research and I may even (hopefully) be in medical school (my family joke that I will never stop being a student)