Researcher Spotlight - Jacki Walker

15 Jul 2021

What are your key research interests?  

• Prevention and management of childhood overweight and obesity and associated conditions - both from a systems perspective and individual level 
  • Achieving optimal nutrition and physical activity outcomes for children with disabilities 
  • Nutrition for child and adolescent athletes  

 Can you share some of your career highlights so far?   

Attending and presenting at various conferences (nationally and internationally) to see the broader impact and reach of the work that I am doing, and being able to share ideas with others and facilitate new collaborations.   

What aspects do you enjoy most about your work?  

I enjoy getting to the end of a project or piece of work and being able to see the impact and difference the results have made to children, adolescents and their families.   

I also enjoy working with a wide variety of dedicated, passionate people across many discipline areas.  

What inspired you to pursue a career in academia?  

I have always enjoyed thoroughly exploring nutrition topics, and have wanted to know more about unanswered questions or why things are done the way they are done, and what we could change to positively benefit those around us. Research and academia, therefore, was a natural progression after spending some time practising clinically.   

What are your interests outside of work?   

Spending time with my family and friends, particularly outdoor activities.   

What do you enjoy most about living in Brisbane?  

The climate in Brisbane means that you can enjoy many outdoor activities year round  . I also love the relaxed feel that Brisbane has when compared to other major cities around Australia.

Are you currently conducting any research where you are seeking volunteers?  

Not currently - most projects are clinically focused where participants are recruited through particular avenues.